Monday, January 28, 2013

Comics for the week of 01/30/2013

DC Comics

All Star Western #16 - Jonah Hex against Mr. Hyde. This sounds like a terrible comic. It did give us Dr. Arkham dancing on a table and trying to get a woman, so its not all bad. I'm looking for The Black Diamond story to be over soon.

Talon #4 - The sooner this comic gets back to Gotham the better. Snyder's The Court of Owls has a uniquely Gotham feel to it so operating in New York feels wrong. I'm not sure who's running things in New York but I can't see them letting an organization like The Court stick around. It'd be too much competition.

Image Comics

Invincible #100 - Soooooo... How about that preview. From the looks of it The Death of Everyone might be looking to live up to its name. We've got a good chunk of the Earth's populous getting killed or about to be killed and Mark getting ripped in half. Long ways. Knowing the manipulative manner that comics are marketed in I really doubt that'll be the last we see of Mark Grayson, I just don't want Zandale taking over as the lead. He's been a background character with zero development until the last 8 or so issues. I don't have the time invested with him and I don't look to put it in.

Nowhere Men #3 - My previous post HERE had a lot of my feelings on the first issues of Nowhere Men. If we can stay more towards the science and business aspects and less towards a Fantastic Four clone I'll be happy.

Marvel Comics 

Avengers #4 - After the somewhat disappointing end of the first arc I'm glad we're getting some Done in One spotlight issues. Hickman has a pretty large cast to juggle and like lots of other readers I'm not familiar with some of them. This week we find out who this version of Hyperion is. Hyperion has always been a one note character, basically what if Superman was a Dick. We haven't seen enough of this one to see if thats still the case.

Hawkeye #7 - I'm new to the party on Hawkguy but I'm not new to the Fraction/Aja team. I didn't start getting the comic when it came out because it was during my pre-now Marvel embargo. I've since caught up and the art in this book is fantastic. I like a dense comic (More 9 panel grids!) and the sheer number of panels that Aja fits onto a page is staggering. The fact that he does it while everything is crisp and readable is even more impressive. When you combine that with a character that Fraction obviously gets you have a fantastic comic. Now this issue has Steve Lieber and Jesse Hamm as guest artists, but we won't hold it against them that they're not Aja.

The Superior Spider-Man #2 - DOLTS! Doctor Octopus isn't Spider-Man! He's not even very good at pretending to be Peter Parker. But that's where the fun of this comic comes from. Pretty soon the supporting cast is going to realize that Peter isn't just in a mood and its going to come back on him in a great way.

Oni Press Inc 

The Sixth Gun #28 - One of the story ideas I've wanted to write has always been a horror western mashup. The idea of the kind of hard person that lives in a western setting having to deal with the supernatural seemed like it was full of potential. Well Cullen Bunn has put together a comic that is better than anything I might have done. I'm hoping that the pilot that NBC has commissioned gets a full series order because I would love to see this brought to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment