Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sunday Reviews #2

Deadpool #5 - Deadpool has become an interesting book, not because of how funny or well done it is but more because of the sheer number of jokes thrown at the reader. The latest issue, done in the style of a bronze age filler pulled out of a drawer, has jokes on top of jokes, and most of them aren't funny. Its kind of like reading the old Loony Toons or Disney comics. They're more concerned with the quantity of joke than the quality. Now some were pretty good. Peter Parker in the Bugle news room, the liquor store ad, those were pure gold. Most of the rest of it was chuckleworthy at best. On the art front the book looked amazing. It was a perfect throwback to the 70s and 80s.

Thanos Rising #1 - I didn't like this, not because I felt that it was poorly done, but because I don't want Thanos humanized. I don't want to see young artistic Thanos sitting alone drawing. I feel that it weakens the character because until now he was a force of nature. We knew that he was obsessed with death and that he seeks to gain her favor. And I really think that's all we need to know. Showing us him developing from someone that would be considered normal into the sociopath we know undercuts the character. It makes people look for a redemption arc in a character that until now should never be redeemed. Its just a bad idea.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know they were doing that with Thanos. I wonder what would Jim Starlin say about that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, since he was supposedly pretty mad about the Giffen series a few years ago I expect he hates this.

    ReplyDelete