Sunday, October 6, 2013

Thirty Days of Horror Days 3-5: Don't Look Back, High Tension and I Spit On Your Grave

Day 3: Don't Look Back

I don't feel that I gave this movie the proper attention. From where I was sitting it was a series of random events that ended in a midget stabbing Donald Sutherland in the neck. Its well regarded enough that I'm fairly certain that its a problem with how I watched the film and not with the movie itself. I'm going to re-watch it in the next few days and give it a proper shake.

Day 4: High Tension

French lesbians in a slasher flick! How could it go wrong? With a shitty twist ending! In general I'm not a big fan of the twist ending that changes everything.

But this is one of my favorite movies ever.
Most of the time it comes off to me as "Oh, look how smart I am, you didn't know what was happening! Ha!" while not actually working. For example the killer girl wasn't ever depicted as particularly strong in the movie, except for when she was the killer, then she was kicking furniture so hard it could sever a head. Having said that without the twist I'd have been fine with the movie. Its a solid home invasion/slasher flick. Nothing revolutionary but well done.

Day 5: I Spit On Your Grave.

This movie has a twenty five minute rape scene. Twenty five minutes. Its only 101 minutes long. A quarter of this movie is dedicated to raping this woman. Its fucking terrible. I'm the first to admit that I'm a little more messed up than most people, and that I've got a pretty dark sense of humor, but even I couldn't stand watching the TWENTY FIVE MINUTES OF RAPE. You can't argue that we needed that long a scene for any good reason other than to make the audience sick. The movie also featured the lynching of a character that was at least regarded as being handicapped by the other characters, even if he didn't come off quite that way. It was more like watching a snuff film. There's no entertainment here. Go somewhere else.

Tomorrow I'm watching something fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment